Home
Bookmark this page
Save WBCCI Show your support for WBCCI. Vote NO on the name change. CLICK HERE to get your avatar.
Home | Pictures | History | Links | Projects | Video | Voyages | Miscellaneous | Contact | Latest Updates | Site Map | Search




Replace Deadbolt

cause the old one failed and locked us out!

On a trip to Death Valley we had a catastrophic failure of not only the door latch, but the deadbolt mechanism as well - completely locking us out of out trailer. Fortunately, we had left one window unlatched so that we could get in without breaking any windows. Thus begins the great door lock upgrade debacle.

The problem with the deadbolt was that the operating shaft (you know, that little part that actually turns and causes the deadbolt shaft to extend into the door) became stripped from years of use and started to turn freely. We had known that the lock was acting up and took steps to improve the operation of the mechanism but eventually more drastic measures would be needed.

Prior to the actual failure, I purchaced a lock Schlage deadbolt lock from a hardware store. My goal was to use parts and pieces from the new lock to get a working deadbolt in our trailer. I used the existing plunger mechanism as it was in good condition. I did have to replace the lock mechanism but had to keep the old shaft. Any parts and pieced I did not use I kept just in case...

That worked for a few months until Death Valley.

How we got in...

Getting in only required cutting a screen. That's easy to replace. Until we replaced the lock we would have to leave a window open next to the door.
IMG_5224.jpg
The window next to the door served as the only way we could get in and out. We left it unlatched and pried it open when needed. Sticking an arm in and reaching the door handle or deadbolt was all that was needed to keep our trailer and items safe and secure.

Replacing the bad parts

once and for all!

IMG_5282.jpg
The inside deadbolt knob is removed. Once removed the lock itself can be removed
IMG_5283.jpg

The Lock Comes Out

IMG_5286.jpg
With the knob removed the lock itself comes right out.

Remove the Shaft

IMG_5287.jpg
From this point we will partially dissemble the lock mechanism and replace the parts that are worn. The white plastic dust cap comes off and the shaft, due to the amount of wear slips right out with no difficulty.
IMG_5288.jpg

The Worn Part

IMG_5290.jpg
The crescent silver ring is the part that needs to be replaced. It is the part that allows the shaft to turn and stops when the plunger is fully extended or retracted. Once it has been turned that far and you turn the key in the other direction it prevents the shaft from moving. If this part is worn the shaft will not turn and stop when it is supposed to. Instead, the shift will remain stationary while the key is turned, a real bummer.

Replacing the Ring

IMG_5292.jpg
To remove the crescent we have to unscrew the brass retaining ring. It is locked in place by a spring loaded brass plunger. Depress the plunger with a screwdriver and unscrew the brass ring.
IMG_5294.jpg
IMG_5295.jpg
IMG_5296.jpg
This is the worn crescent ring that we will replace

Side by Side

IMG_5298.jpg
In a side by side comparison you can see the new crescent ring and shaft. The shaft & ring on the left side is are the new parts.

Putting it all back together.

Putting the deadbolt back together is simply the process of disassembly in reverse. Once fully installed, we lubricated the lock with a wax/Teflon based lubricant and tested it out (with a window open, of course). All turned smoothly and stopped solidly (i.e. - without spinning needlessly).



All Contents and images Copyright 2012 ArchNevada Design unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.